Here is everything we hope you may need to know about Helicopter Ears Discord.
- I’m not on Patreon. Can I still join your Discord server?
- How do I join your Discord server?
- How do I join with an invitation link?
- I’m in, but I can only see the #welcome channel
- I’ve never used Discord before. What are the first things to do?
- I’ve not been assigned correct roles
- What are all the weird symbols? @? #?
- Rules, please!
- Everything else else
Intro to Discord
While Discord is marketed as a chat for gamers, it has many great uses. Since Patreon and Discord joined forces in 2016, thousands of Patreon creators have been using Discord to foster community and reward their supporters. You can find out more about Discord on their website.
Discord vs. Patreon
Both our Patreon and Discord communities are exclusive to our supporters, but there are important differences to how we use them and what you can get out of them.
Patreon is not redundant at all: Patreon is a membership management platform, automating our Discord membership so we don’t have to add and remove members manually. By joining Patreon, you support our work, and there, we publish patron-only announcements and updates.
While Patreon is more of a one-way street when it comes to our interaction with supporters, Discord is akin to a forum where everyone can participate and have bun-fun together: we can all share our bunny updates, get advice from experienced bunny owners when we urgently need it, offer tips and advice if you wish, and chat by IM (instant messaging), voice, and even video!
What sort of things are on Discord?
On Discord, we are able to separate discussions into “channels”. For example, we have #photo-hop channel for sharing your bunny snaps and #rainbow-bridge channel where we can support each other and share memories.
There is the #sos channel, where you can request urgent help and one of the admins or our super experienced supporters will be on hand to help you.
All patrons who support us for $25 or more get automatically assigned to our bunny Advisory Board where they can take part in our decisions. And there are dedicated voice channels if you fancy a proper chat. See Our Discord channels for the full listing.
Getting onto Discord
Creating a Discord account is easy and free, and once you connect it with your Patreon account, computer takes care of the rest. Find out how to get your Discord role in Patreon Help Center or contact us for support. If you’re supporting us elsewhere, you can still join!
Our Discord roles
Roles on Discord in general serve to provide access to discussion channels and privileges. On our Discord server, we use them to indicate our bunny experience. Patrons on the Advisory Board also get the role to access Advisory Board channels.
Bunny expertise roles
On Discord, there are 4 x experience roles. From beginner to expert, they are:
- Warren Buddies
Beginner bunny owners
- Warren Warriors
Experienced bunny owners
- Warren Wizards
Bunny owners willing to provide advice
- Warren Elders
Super-experienced bunny owners, willing to provide advice
All these roles have exactly the same rights across our Discord server. The only difference is that members of Warren Wizards and Warren Elders will be listed separately at the top so that anyone can @mention this role if we need advice. (This is how we direct a message to a user or everyone belonging to a specific role: by putting the @ symbol before a user name or a role name.)
There are 2 warren roles: the Cowslip’s Warren and Redstone Warren:
- Cowslip’s Warren is for Patreon supporters.
- Redstone Warren is for those who support Helicopter Ears by other means, e.g. bunny sponsors who signed up via our website, or supporters who donate directly to PayPal or bank account.
The Advisory Board role gets automatically assigned to all patrons donating $25 or more per month.
Initial role assignment
On connecting your Patreon and Discord accounts, everyone gets assigned the Warren Buddies (for beginner bunny owners) and Cowslip’s Warren (for Patreon supporters) roles. If your bunny experience is above beginner, feel free to PM one of the mods and we’ll assign you the role you would like to have.
All patrons donating $25 per month or more should be automatically assigned the Advisory Board role. If you should have been assigned this role but are not, see this FAQ.
Our Discord channels
You can think of channels as discussion boards on a forum, topics, or discussion categories. Channel names are usually preceeded with a hash symbol (#). At the time of writing, we have the following channels on our Discord server.
- # welcome
The welcome message shown on arrival, but only when your Patreon and Discord accounts are not connected. You will only see this channel under these circumstances.
- # rules
Server description and very important rules.
- # announcements
All sorts of announcements: Discord, Patreon, other important Helicopter Ears stuff. We post. @everyone gets notified. Only the important stuff. Stay tuned.
- # sos
If it’s urgent and important, it belongs here. Please use discernment. In this channel you can mention @everyone.
A place to chill and relax with the bunnies.
- # general-chat
Everything that’s not anywhere else.
- # meet-and-greet
The warren needs to know its bunnies, and the bunnies their warren, so don’t hold back—we want to know all about you and your bunskis!
- # photo-hop
What is a bunny Discord without bunny pictures? Good for no-bun. Share your bunsterpieces!
- # rainbow-bridge
The place of memories, understanding and support.
- VOICE-TALK & # voice-text
Bunny lounge voice channel and the text channel to go with it.
Bunny discussion boards, to discuss important bunny matters.
- # hopper-health
Discussion about health issues, food, diet, environment, behaviour. The slow mode is enabled here to avoid the discussion getting too heated: one message every 2 minutes only unless you’re a warren elder or a bunministrator.
- # seeking-homes
Let’s pull our resources together and help some of the bunnies who have no-one to look out for them.
- # vet-a-vet
Know a great bunny vet? We want to know who, where, why. Someone you wouldn’t recommend? We want to know, too.
- # fundraising
And not just for Helicopter Ears.
- # general-discussion
As opposed to #general-chat, where we chill and relax, this is for important bunny-related issues.
- # feedback
There’s no such thing as a silly idea, especially if it comes from someone with a bunny—that’s a fact.
- VOICE-TALK & # voice-text
#BUNNY BOARDS voice channel and the text channel to go with it.
The place to make your input into running of Helicopter Ears.
Away from keyboard: the place where you get moved from the voice chat if you step away from your keyboard.
Joining and Discord settings
I’m not on Patreon. Can I still join your Discord server?
Yes! Every supporter can join whether you sponsor a bunny through our website, donate by PayPal, directly to bank account, or by other means. Just contact us and request a Discord invitation! Once you receive the link, hurry: the invitation link is only be valid for 1 day.
How do I join your Discord server?
- Create a Discord account here.
- If you haven’t done it yet, go to your bunmail inbox, find an email from Discord, and click on the Verify Email button: your Discord account email must be verified before we can assign you a role on the server.
- You now need to log into Discord (in a browser or using the mobile app).
- From here, if you are an existing Patreon supporter, just follow these instructions to connect your accounts—and you’re in!
- If you are joining using a link we sent you, you need to join the server manually. Please see How do I join using an invitation link? section below.
How do I join with an invitation link?
- On logging into Discord in a browser or on mobile, find the “+” button in a circle (it should be somewhere on the left). You need to click on the “+”, then on Join a server, paste the link we sent you, and join—easy-peasy! The process should be the same whether you are using a desktop or mobile app or are logged in a browser.
- Click on the brightly-coloured Helicopter Ears logo bunny to enter our Discord server and follow the messages.
I’m in, but I can only see the #welcome channel
If you arrive at our #welcome channel, it is either because you haven’t linked your Discord and Patreon accounts (in which case, follow these instructions) or because you joined with a link we sent you. Scroll to the top of the channel and read through the messages (there may be more than one): they are important and all the steps you need to take are there. We can’t wait to have you!
I’ve never used Discord before. What are the first things to do?
If you’re new to Discord, we have to warn you—it’s a lot of fun. But first things first.
At the bottom on the left, you will see your name, as so or something along these lines:
Please click or tap on the cog next to it to adjust your User Settings.
- Ensure the My friends are nice option is selected in the Privacy & Safety tab.
- We recommend to leave the Allow direct messages from server members on: ours is a small, private, and well-looked-after server, and you are unlikely to get spam (but please report if you do).
- In the same tab, check the WHO CAN ADD YOU AS A FRIEND section and turn off Everyone.
- Click on the Voice & Video tab (also in your User Settings), and ensure the INPUT MODE is Push to Talk (unless you know what you are doing—if you do, you can leave it on Voice Activity). This ensures you don’t accidentally pop into one of the voice channels and everyone can hear you without your realising this. Click Okay.
- Click on the Notifications tab (next in the list). Enable Desktop notifications if you’re on desktop. Turn on TEXT-TO-SPEECH NOTIFICATIONS for the Current selected channel only.
- You can now click on the cross at the top right to close the User Settings options.
- Click on the coloured bunny icon on the left to adjust the settings for the Helicopter Ears server. It will now say Helicopter Ears at the top. Click the drop-down arrow next to this.
- Select NOTIFICATION SETTINGS. These are the notification settings for the server.
- In SERVER NOTIFICATION SETTINGS, ensure that only @mentions is selected. Click Done.
I have not been assigned correct roles
If you donate over $25 on Patreon and have not been assigned the Advisory Board role,
this is most probably because, while you donate over the threshold, you haven’t selected a Patreon tier. Please PM one of our Discord admins and we’ll make it right
What are all the weird symbols? @? #?
We’re still writing this.
We’re still writing this, but you can find the initial draft of the rules is on Discord.
Everything else else
If we haven’t covered something and you’re in trouble with Discord, please contact us.